Friday, October 21, 2011

Dirt and the Community Garden

This website: http://www.soilsensor.com/soiltypes.aspx links you to this site: http://soils.usda.gov/technical/soil_orders/, where you can be linked to the pdf file version of the different soil types and a small description of each.
Alfisols
Andisols
Aridisols
Entisols
Gelisols
Histosols
Inceptisols
Mollisols
Oxisols
Spodosols
Ultisols
Vertisols

We used a silve (I think that’s how you spell it), which looks like a pogo stick with a missing step, to dig into the dirt and see the different layers/colors in the soil. And even though community gardens are great, there is a danger that the soil has lead and arsenic in it. Sunflowers should help with this problem though.

I really enjoyed the lab to the Macon community garden! If I ever get tired of cafeteria food and run out of money I will be sure to hit that up! Ok not really, well if I did plant something I guess I could right? Maybe I should email the maconroots people…haha macon roots=makin roots, get it?  J Anyway here are some pictures I took of the garden there’s rosemary, sage, snap peas and also a video of Dr. Rood’s mud fight with select members of the class lol!








...don't really remember why I took this one haha



They're cool, don't know what they are though hmmm....

Ew eggplants







Compost pile! I think some seniors are doing a project with this...





And here's the within walking distance of the school entrance to the community garden!


Professor: 1 Students: 0












No comments:

Post a Comment